Baked beans have always been one of my favourite foods, but I've basically always just had simple tinned baked beans. Tonight, I made my own. They are delicious.
- First I soaked selection of different (haricot, butter, kidney and black eyed) beans over night. I brought them to the boil for about 10 minutes and skimmed off any of the froth that formed on the surface of the water.
- I fried thick cut bacon until slightly browned. Added plenty of salt and pepper, along with a medium sized onion chopped finely. Added garlic powder (because I am lazy). At this point, I tasted the bacon and I was not very impressed, but continued anyway.
- Once everything looked nice and fried, I covered it all with a sprinkling of sugar (quite a bit to be honest). I added this to a tin of peeled tomatoes and some pasata, in a large sauce pan.
- I added the beans and about half of the water from the beans.
- This boiled for about 40 minutes, and then I turned it down and let it simmer for maybe 50 minutes or so, adding more water as it dries and simmering off until the beans are nicely cooked.